- Am I eligible to submit a paper to JPIA?
All graduate students currently enrolled at an APSIA member school is eligible to submit (APSIA Member Directory).
- What is the deadline for submission?
The deadline for submissions to the 2020 Journal is December 21, 2019.
- What kind of submissions do you accept?
We welcome contributions tackling policy issues spanning U.S. domestic policy, international relations, development studies, and economic policy. Submissions are usually in one of two styles: 1) A concise Policy Article, usually around 1500 words, which is written along the lines of an op-ed, or 2) a longer Policy Paper, usually around 6,000 words, which is written in an academic journal style. How should I submit? Contributions must be submitted by filling out the form on this website’s Submit page. Please follow these instructions when submitting:
- Submit your personal information through the form and upload your submission as a Word Doc or PDF. Please do not email your submission.
- Your file should be named as follows: LastName_FirstName_SchoolName
- No identifying information should be included within the paper. Neither your name, nor the name of your school, should appear anywhere in the documents.
- When will I be notified of the results?
Contributions are adjudicated during Reading Weekend, which is usually held in the beginning of February of each year. You can expect to hear from us by mid-February about the result of your submission.
- Is offer of publication conditional?
Yes. Should you choose to accept your offer, you will be given the opportunity to work with an editorial team dedicated to helping revise and edit your article prior to publication. Offers of publication are conditional on revisions being made to reflect JPIA in-house style, as well as editor feedback. Revisions must be submitted in accordance with the timeline.
- If my contribution is rejected, can I receive feedback?
Yes! We recognize the time and energy you put into your submission. If you would like feedback from the review process, please let us know. We will do our best to return comments to you in a timely manner.
- How can I learn more about the type of submissions you are interested in?
Please access previous editions of the journal on our archives page. While the balance of subjects and content varies from year to year, we aim to publish articles of the very highest intellectual and stylistic caliber.
- Can I submit a paper I wrote for a class?
Yes, but please keep in mind that short policy memos, reflection papers, and literature reviews are likely not a good fit for publication in JPIA.